emergency - lost identity

Arthur Dyck arthur at avefoodcoop.ca
Sun Mar 18 01:59:07 UTC 2007

I seem to have lost my user identity and password and su access.  Is there any
way of restoring these?  I am using Kubuntu Dapper.

When I try to go into Users and Groups go into Administrator Mode, I get "Su
returned with an error"

The diagnostics is:

Possible reasons:

An error occurred during your last KDE upgrade leaving an orphaned  control
module.

You have old third party modules lying around .

Check these points carefully and try to remove the module mentioned in the
error message.  If this fails, consider contacting  your distributor or
packager."

If need be, can I reinstall Kubuntu while leaving my data files intact?  I am
trying to back them up but K3b has frozen and I can't even get my CD drive to
open.

Arthur