kubuntu's start up graphic is "nice" but I like the scrolling text!

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 23:05:45 UTC 2007

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> I just installed Edgy on a nice new Gateway laptop (MT6451 Notebook PC)
> It has an AMD Turion 64x2 processor and a 120 gig HD
>
> Unlike most windows users I don't get uncomfortable when a bunch of text
> scrolls past my screen at boot time. In fact I get uncomfortable when it
> doesn't. I "LIKE" seeing a lot of lines ending in "[OK]" or "[PASS]"
> I'll admit it's mostly pointless because when I do see a red "[FAIL]" it
> usually scrolls past so fast I can't see what didn't work. But at least
> it lets me know that I want to look at dmesg. But mostly I just always
> get uncomfortable when an OS tries to hide it from me. Especially after I
> already ditched the gui login screen with:
>
> sudo update-rc.d -f kdm remove
>
> (I use startx when/if I'm ready for a gui)
>
> I probably had to do something to breezy to get this to be displayed
> on tty1 when I first installed it on my p3 desktop. But I can't remember
> what. I do know it didn't change back when I used dist-upgrade to switch
> the p3 to dapper.
>
> Would someone remind me how to ditch the pretty graphic startup?

I'm the same way, I _like_ to see what the system is doing (and if
something fails).
So I always disable the (XPish) boot splash (called usplash).

It's nice and easy to do and doesn't require installing/removing any
packages.
Simply edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and change:
# kopt=root=/dev/hda ro quiet splash
or whatever it is, to
# kopt=root=/dev/hda ro quiet
and remove the "splash" from the kernel options in the kernel list, or
run "sudo update-grub" to do it or you.
That will disable usplash and let you see the boot process (you may have
to remove "quiet" too)

Tez