chown jtwdyp: /dev/hda8 /dev/hda9 /dev/hda10 [fstab: owner, noauto]

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Mar 12 13:02:12 GMT 2007

"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp at ttlc.net> writes:

> chown jtwdyp: /dev/hda8 /dev/hda9 /dev/hda10
> Is this way I'm supposed to give these partitions to user jtwdyp ???

Not in a world with udev, no.

> /etc/fstab contains:
> /dev/hda10 ext2 /home/jtwdyp/hda10 ext2 defaults,owner,noauto 0 2
>
> And similar lines for the other 2 partitions...
>
> Anyway it seams to work the way I want. The user, jtwdyp, can mount or
> umount these file systems at will. but any body else would need admin
> privileges.

Are you sure it wouldn't be better to permit jtwdyp to mount and unmount
them as root, using sudo, without a password?  (or even with one?)

> That is it works until the next reboot... Or maybe it's during the
> shut down. But something keeps doing the equivalent of:
>
> chown root:disk /dev/hda*
>
> So every time I restart kubuntu on the multi boot pc, I gotta chown it
> back... Can anyone tell me how to stop kubuntu from taking these
> partitions away from jtwdyp every time I reboot???

Yes: you need to modify the udev rules, which are invoked during the
hardware discovery phase of boot, so they give the ownership you expect
to those devices.

You can learn more about this in the udev documentation, found on your
Ubuntu system.

Once you have updated the rules don't forget to update your initramfs
images so that the rules in there are also up to date.

Alternately you can move away from udev and use a static /dev directory,
but I couldn't recommend that on Ubuntu; you would have non-trivial work
keeping that running smoothly.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/