Edgy and APT-pinning

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Mar 11 11:58:43 UTC 2007

Graham <gct3 at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> I notice that there's no preferences file in /etc/apt under Edgy.
>
> There's plenty of references to Debian apt-pinning when Googling
> around, but could somebody refer me to something (K)ubuntu specific
> for pinning.

There is no difference: use the same content as you would on a Debian
system, save referencing the Ubuntu releases.

As a non-core comment though, don't do that.  You /really/ don't want to
try and run a system that is a mix of two releases.  In short order you
will wind up in a stick mess that just doesn't work correctly.

If you really can't live without the newer versions of some software you
are vastly better off compiling the newer release on the older version
yourself.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/