Send hostname when getting DHCP lease?

Phil Bieber philbieber at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 17:07:56 UTC 2007

Hi list!

I'm trying to find a way to make my Feisty box send it's hostname, when it
gets its IP address ...
At the moment, I get an IP address, but when I lookup my active network
devices in my router, there is no hostname next to my IP. All the Windows PC
(and mine, when in Windows) report their names correctly. This is what my
router interface looks like:

pc1    192.168.0.12 <mac address>
         192.168.0.13 <mac address>
pc3    192.168.0.14 <mac address>

With 192.168.0.13 being my Feisty box. I had the same problem with earlier
versions of Kubuntu and by now it is really bothering me.
I edited the /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf to include
send host-name "hekate";
... but it doesn't ...

Any help would be really appreciated
Cheers

Philipp Bieber

--
"We need a president who's fluent in at least one language."
-- Buck Henry