Question from newbie

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Fri Mar 9 19:48:53 UTC 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 10:49 am, Constantin Lungu wrote:
> games executables . I click on it (Cube for example) and no effect. I
> tried the same game on the same computer on SUSE and it worked. The
> same problem on ubuntu. Please  help. Thanks in advance!

Have you kept the same home directory through all these distro changes?  I
don't know of a game called "Cube."  It seems maybe you have something in
your user's personal menu that refers to a game you used to have on SuSE.

If you want to try to follow the other person's suggestion, expressed in terms
a newbie might hope to understand...

Right click on the K menu, and pick Menu Editor.  Click around through the
various levels of menus until you find a game you want.  For example, click
on Games, then Arcade, then "Tron-like Game (KTron)."  When you reach the
level of an individual game, the right field of the window will show you
fields like "Name:," and "Command:."  The bit you're after is the "Command:,"
which is "/usr/games/ktron -caption "%c" %i %m" in this case.

So open a terminal window (System -> Terminal Program) and then type

	/usr/games/ktron

at the prompt. The idea is to see what kind of error it gives you by way of
explaining why the game didn't work.  For example, you might see:

	bash: /usr/games/ktron: No such file or directory

Whatever the error messages, copy them and paste them here, and we'll help you
figure out what's going wrong.
--
D. Michael McIntyre