apt-get newbie questions

Phil Bieber philbieber at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 08:43:16 GMT 2007

On 3/9/07, Kevin Kempter <kevin at kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:

> Hi List;
> I just installed Edgy eft on a laptop and its working great!
>
> I'm used to RPM systems where I can search for a pattern as in:
> "yum search xine" and then install the packages listed that I want.
>
> 3 questions:
>
> 1) Is apt-get the preferred package inataller?
> 2) can I do a similar 'search' as above with apt-get
> 3) how can I add additional repositories to apt? (and do I want to?, is
> there
> a preferred favorite set of additional repositories)?
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi!
There are apt-get and aptitude for package managing. There was recently a
discussion here on the list, that aptitude should be preferred over apt-get
because it has a better dependency tracking (it also removes unused
dependencies...).
The search syntax would be
apt-cache search <package> or
aptitude search <package>

There are the multiverse repos, which bring some additional packages. Also,
there are the unfree / commercial repos with proprietary drivers and
software (please correct me, if I'm wrong).
To modify your repos, wither use the GUI (adept) or open
/etc/apt/sources.list with your favorite text editor.

Personally, I generate my sources.list with source-o-matic (don't have a
link handy, but a quick Google-consultion should give it to you). I have the
KDE & Amarok repos, wine, and multi-media repos ( I can't recall the name,
and don't have my kubuntu box handy)...

Cheers

Philipp Bieber

--
"We need a president who's fluent in at least one language."
-- Buck Henry