Problem with Adept updates

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Thu Mar 8 17:11:42 UTC 2007

On Monday 05 March 2007 18:19, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:

> > > Hi - You definitely need more info about the problem. Open Konsole and
> > > try: sudo aptitude update
> > > sudo aptitude upgrade
> > > Answer "N" (for No) to all the questions it will ask - you don't want
> > > to commit to any course of action until you get the picture! Look
> > > through the errors that it produces, it will get you much closer to the
> > > source of the issue. Post 'em here, I'm sure some of the boffins will
> > > help ya ;
> >
> > OK, the problem is certainly clear. Apparently when I tried to install
> > NeroLinux something went wrong, and that is stopping everything else
> > from going through. I tried to remove the program, but that is
> > generating the same error. I am thinking the removing the program and
> > reinstalling it would probably fix the problem,  but how do I remove it
> > if Adept won't let me?
>
> Well, it looks like all I needed to do was re-install it and that
> cleared up the problem.

Next time that happens, try running

'sudo apt-get -f install'

That will either remove a broken package, or finish an interrupted install.

I've heard good things about aptitude, but stick with apt-get out of habit and
familiarity.  I've heard it is not good to mix the two.

I do not use the adept-updater to do the actual updates, though I use it in
the tray to notify me of the availability of  same.  I use the command line
instead.  Seems to cut the process time by 75%,

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @