Another Adept problem

Kevin B. O'Brien zwilnik at zwilnik.com
Wed Mar 7 01:20:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 00:42 +0000, Tez wrote:
> Tez wrote:
> > Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> >
> >> I've managed to screw up something in Adept again. This time, it was an
> >> attempt to install the Java Run-time Environment (apparently needed for
> >> running the OpenOffice Database). It downloaded everything, and started
> >> to install, then hung at around the 30% mark. Finally, after about 45
> >> minutes I closed Adept. Now when I try to open it, it opens in read-only
> >> mode and says that some other process is running. I tried rebooting, but
> >> that did not clear it up.
> >>
> >> Ya know, I really do learn things this way, but can someone te3ll me how
> >> to get out of this? I'm guessing a file is locked somewhere, but I think
> >> I should make sure I know *which* file before I try to do anything.<g>
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >>

> > Ahh, Java and Adept, fun for all the family :P
> >
> > First I'll tell you why it hung.
> > When you chose to install Java JRE, you have to accept the licence for
> > it. So it was waiting for you to do that, I know, it's not exactly
> > obvious. If you clicked the "" button you would have seen the licence
> > and you would have been asked to accept it.
> <CHOP>
> I meant to say "If you clicked the "Show Details" button you would have
> seen the licence and you would have been asked to accept it."
> So you know what I'm on about :)

OK, that got me out of it a little bit, but now I seem stuck in a "You
can't get htere from here" problem. Now Adept wants to "Upgrade" JRE,
and the same problem is happening. If I use the

sudo fuser -vik /var/lib/dpkg/lock

command, it asks me if I want to kill the process. I can kill it and
start over, but then I just get caught in the same place again. I can
"see" in the window that it is waiting for me to accept the
not-sufficiently-damned license, but I cannot do that from the Adept
window. I am guessing I need to do something in Konsole to finish this
install, but I am not sure how to procedd.

Thank you,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
zwilnik at zwilnik.com Linux User #333216