Internet access

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Mar 3 18:56:06 UTC 2007

On Friday 02 March 2007 3:32 pm, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> > Isn't PPPOE (PPP over Ethernet) use by cable Internet access
> > proviers too?
>
> Not any I'm familiar with.  They use a standard cable modem without
> special authentication.

I agree.  PPPoE is not this user's problem.

I'm not sure what's going wrong here.  If nobody else has any bright ideas, I
can boot a Kubuntu CD on my laptop and try to play with it.  I can set up a
similar environment with a choice between a wireless router and an ethernet
cable.  I wound up pulling Linux back off that laptop though (unfriendly
hardware), so it will take some tinkering to set this up.  Else I would have
just gone ahead and done it, and shared the results, rather than writing
about what is possible.
--
D. Michael McIntyre