First let fix package database lock state I am after Adept quit too fast after an error

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 30 22:29:27 UTC 2007

Paul Dufresne wrote:
>>> A big problem, is that when you click Ok, it seems to directly quit the
>>> application without even removing
>>> the lock.
>>>
>> Maybe you can give more details? What was the error? What was the error
>> message? We can't read minds, nor can we guess what happened. It would be
>> extremely helpful if we knew even those two things.
>>

> Part of the problem is that adept don't report the bug given by dpkg,
> it just say something like: Hey an error happened when installing.
>
> I really don't care about the specific package that made dpkg return an
> error.
> The only thing I care about, is Adept quiting so fast, that it kill
> currently
> running instance of dpkg (probably not the same that cause the error),
> so
> leaving a lock on package database lock.
>
> Well, I'd like to restart adept_update to see what was the exact message
> but can't.
>
> I changed my language in System Setting/Regional language, but although
> most
> menus and messages are now in english (the language I choose), adept is
> still
> in french, so I will translate a bit.
>
> So we are after the bug, I did reboot.
> paul at Arcturus:/var/lib$ ps -e|grep dpkg
> paul at Arcturus:/var/lib$ ps -e|grep adept
> paul at Arcturus:/var/lib$ ps -e|grep synaptic
> I see no other programs in ps -e that would use the package database.
>
> paul at Arcturus:/var/lib/dpkg$ ls -l
> total 3704
> -rw-r----- 1 root root      0 2007-06-30 12:45 lock
>
> paul at Arcturus:/var/lib/dpkg$sudo rm lock
> Now lock is gone.
>
> BTW: I was searching this file in /var/lock at first, which still seems
> to me where I should have found that.
>
> I have Quit previously adept-updater in lower right of screen.
> So I have to start in manually:
> paul at Arcturus:/var/lib/dpkg$ kdesu adept_updater
> ... wacom missing devices
> kbuildsycoca running...
> kapture::PkgSystem::PkgSystem()
>
> then Adept appears, and then a window with:
> Un autre processus utilise la base de données du système de paquets
> (probablement une autre application Adept, apt-get ou aptitude).
> Veuillez fermer cet autre programme avant d'utiliser celui-ci.
>
> Translation: An other process is using package database, please close
> the other program that use the database.
> Just an Ok button, I click it and return to konsole.
>
> Now if I do ls -l:
> -rw-r----- 1 root root      0 2007-06-30 12:57 lock
> It has come back!
>
> Not to sure what I am suppose to do here.

I had a similar problem and was provided the following:  (it cured the
problem)

*ps -ewf| grep adept|grep -v grep|awk '{print $2}'*

This will list all process being used by adept, one per line.  Next you
want a sure way to destroy these processes:

*sudo kill -9 <process>
*
Where <process> is each process number separated by a space.  for
example if you got two lines like these:
7513
12158

Your command will look like this:

*sudo kill -9 7513 12158

*I do not have much experience, however, this cured the problem of a
background program operation.  My computer has worked fine since.  Hope
it is helpful.

Steven