query about running system services

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Jun 30 14:49:58 UTC 2007

On Friday 29 June 2007, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Oh, wow! I have been running Linux for eight years, and this is the first
> time I've come across a graphical distro that doesn't default to runlevel
> 5.

This just tells us you've never run a distro that was based on Debian before.
Debian has always defaulted to runlevel 2, and so do all of its many
derivatives.  The scheme you refer to as "usual" was put into effect by Red
Hat if I'm not mistaken.  There *is* no standard for this.  The only
runlevels that have absolute meaning are 0, 1 and 6.

(Of course every time someone gets preachy and authoritative about something
like this, they're just opening wide for someone else to come along and smack
them down, so go ahead Guru, tell me the real story about runlevel, and how
full of crap I am.  :) )

--
D. Michael McIntyre