BIG performance issue with ext3

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri Jun 29 13:23:39 UTC 2007

paulvarjak at gmail.com wrote:
> Can anyone explain this, in the same system?
> It's not a hardware issue because I have the same problem in two equal
> computers.

Maybe it is a hardware problem after all, which is unique for your
particular hardware. I tried your time command on 4 different machines
with various kernels 10 times in sequence on each system. The timing was
within a +/- 20% range for each system with most values close to the
average value. Can you tell us more about your particular hardware
(mainboard, SATA controller, disk type)? Then perhaps someone might have
an idea.

Furthermore, please have a look at the end of /var/log/messages if there
are disk related timeouts when the your test needed a long time.

Nils