Starting "beryl-manager" at login

Chris kubuntu at eportel.com
Fri Jun 29 02:25:30 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 19:28 -0400, Steven Vollom wrote:
> John L Fjellstad wrote:
> > Chris <kubuntu at eportel.com> writes:
> >

> > > Thanks John for your efforts,
> > > No the Beryl icon is not in the tray..and yet when I run it from command
> > > it runs find.
> > >
> > > There are no errors when starting Beryl from the command line. It works
> > > fine.
> > >
> > > John is the last line of the Autostart file "beryl.sh" suppose to be
> > > "fi"?
> > >

> > I remember having this problem when I first installed it.  Now, if I
> > could just remember how I fixed it...
> >
> > Basically, the way it's supposed to work is beryl-kde.desktop gets
> > read by KDM.  Here, it calls /usr/bin/startkde with $DESKTOP_SESSION
> > environment variable set to beryl-kde.  In beryl.sh, we check whether
> > this environment variable is set to this, and if yes, calls
> > beryl-manager.
> >
> > What we now have to check is what $DESKTOP_SESSION is set to and whether
> > beryl.sh is called at all.
> >
> > So, try this.
> > In beryl.sh,
> > below the #!/bin/sh (and above the if statement) add the following line
> >
> > echo $DESKTOP_SESSION >> /tmp/log
> >
> > Save the file, and log out and log back in.  A log file has been created
> > in /tmp.  Look at the file and tell me what it says.
> > It should say beryl-kde, but if it says something else, let me know.
> >
> > You can also try to see if beryl-manager is called at all by commenting
> > out the if statements.  Add a # in the beginning of the if and fi line
> >

> For a while, I have been trying to follow your problem solving.  I am
> a newbie that installed Beryl to my Kubuntu OS.  Originally I set the
> configuration yet I cannot remember the choices that I made at the
> time, so I can't help much.  But since installation, it has opened
> when I boot up in Beryl.  I just don't know what I did to cause that.
> Nonetheless, trying to find out how it works, and playing with all the
> features to see what would happen, I lost the most unique feature,
> where it was like a cube that rotated as I chose the various sites
> that were on each side.  I liked that, but in playing around trying to
> understand Beryls function, I lost that feature and it has not
> returned.  Currently it is stable and has a wavy kind of look to the
> pages as they are moved around.  It is pleasant and interesting,
> however, I would like to get back the rotating cube.
>
> I am writing mostly because I never entered anything using the
> Terminal when I downloaded the program using Adept Manager.  I
> installed from the Manager and it worked instantly on boot up.  I just
> thought you should know that, in case you have been trying to solve
> your problem from a direction that is not the usual cause of your
> problem.  I have a feeling that it may be just a mouse-click on a
> point of configuration in the GUI, I just am not smart enough to
> understand the terms used in identifying the features in the
> [...]
Thanks Steve for words.  That's interesting. I didn't know that Beryl
should start by default in most cases...I really didn't consider that
side of it. I'll have to check that now.  As far as the cube...did you
download the "beryl-settings" which gives you the Beryl Settings Manager
in the Kmenu/Settings menu for the configuration of Beryl?
If you open the Beryl Settings Manager top row under Desktop then on the
left side click on Desktop Cube...make sure it's checked off.

Let me know how you make out and I'll check for a GUI option for
starting Beryl upon startup.

Thanks
Chris