Looking for other OEM's that Pre-install Kubuntu

Chris kubuntu at eportel.com
Wed Jun 27 13:29:55 BST 2007

Hello all,
I am new to Linux (although I worked with Suse for 9 months...I still
feel rather lost) but trying to learn as much as possible in the
shortest amount of time...I don't feel that successful so far.

I'm the owner of a small computer manufacturing and service company.
I'm trying very very hard to offer  most model computers with Kubuntu
preinstalled. However it has not been easy.  First, the documentation
compared to Ubuntu is little.  I bought a book on Ubuntu and it's pretty
good at explaining everything about Ubuntu...but none of the Gnome
specific information applies directly to Kubuntu.  It's really a major
waste of time translating nearly everything that is taught about Gnome
(Ubuntu) and trying to find the equivalent of that application in
Kubuntu.

Second, there are many questions of the best way to produce, test and
sell PC's with Linux on them...I can't seem to learn enough about Linux
(Kubuntu) fast enough...maybe if I knew more...some of these question
would be answered by me....I hope. Sometimes I feel that some of the
questions and problems that I run across never really get resolve
completely....that is scary in a retail/OEM market where we have to
solve customers support needs in a timely manor.

As an OEM I would like the Kubuntu PC to have the ability to run very
well with the add on features that makes Kubuntu (and Linux in general)
what it should be. I'm referring to things like Beryl Desktop effects
and menus that make sense.  Most customers will be coming straight from
MS Windows XP so there may be some minor mods and configuration changes
that should be made prior to the release or delivery of the machine.
Using the OEM installation off the Kubuntu Alternate CD is a good
start..but I'm not sure it's all that I would need.

What I'm asking is...is there any other OEM/systems builders
(professionals please) out there that does what I am trying to do that
is willing to share their experience with me as to supporting Kubuntu to
the end user, hardware setup (which I have done a lot of testing) such
as chipset's that are being used and other information related to this?

I talked with Dell (really didn't want to do that!) to dig into the
hardware information that they are using with there new PC's that come
with Ubuntu.  After the mixed results testing lots of different Intel
chipsets and CPUs I just wanted to see what Dell was willing to use in
their computers and try some of that.
I would like to find out if anybody else has attempted the testing that
I have and what the results were...if any.

Any feed back would be great appreciated.

Thanks very much for any input on this subject.

Chris