Starting "beryl-manager" at login

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org
Wed Jun 27 03:01:01 UTC 2007

Chris <kubuntu at eportel.com> writes:

> I'm not sure how if I'm doing this right.
> I'v opened up [.kde/Autostart] there was a file in there already named
> [.directory]. I wasn't sure what to do so I create a new text document
> then typed in what you told me to which is :
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> if [ $DESKTOP_SESSION == "beryl-kde" ]; then
>         /usr/bin/beryl-manager
> fi
> I named this text file "beryl.sh" and I made it have permission as an
> executable.
>
> Then I navigated over to /usr/share/xsessions there is one file there
> named kde.desktop.  Now do I open this up in a text editor and add it to
> the existing document or do I create a new item named beryl-kde.desktop?
> If I have to create a new item....how do I do this becuase I don't hve
> any options to do this.
>
> Thanks for you help
> Chris

You need to create two new files.  So, the first one you created was
correct.

Second one, go to /usr/share/xsessions
type
kdesu kate beryl-kde.desktop

This will create a new file as root in the /usr/share/xsessions
directory named beryl-kde.desktop

Copy the content of the file I wrote in the previous message in here.
Save the file, and close kate.  Logout to KDM.  Now there should be a
session available called Beryl-KDE

--
John L. Fjellstad