Starting "beryl-manager" at login

Chris kubuntu at
Wed Jun 27 05:30:03 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 20:01 -0700, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> Chris <kubuntu at> writes:
> > I'm not sure how if I'm doing this right.
> > I'v opened up [.kde/Autostart] there was a file in there already named
> > [.directory]. I wasn't sure what to do so I create a new text document
> > then typed in what you told me to which is :
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > if [ $DESKTOP_SESSION == "beryl-kde" ]; then
> >         /usr/bin/beryl-manager
> > fi
> > I named this text file "" and I made it have permission as an
> > executable.
> >
> > Then I navigated over to /usr/share/xsessions there is one file there
> > named kde.desktop.  Now do I open this up in a text editor and add it to
> > the existing document or do I create a new item named beryl-kde.desktop?
> > If I have to create a new do I do this becuase I don't hve
> > any options to do this.
> >
> > Thanks for you help
> > Chris
> You need to create two new files.  So, the first one you created was
> correct.
> Second one, go to /usr/share/xsessions
> type
> kdesu kate beryl-kde.desktop
> This will create a new file as root in the /usr/share/xsessions
> directory named beryl-kde.desktop
> Copy the content of the file I wrote in the previous message in here.
> Save the file, and close kate.  Logout to KDM.  Now there should be a
> session available called Beryl-KDE
> --
> John L. Fjellstad
> web:          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
Hey John,
Ok well I see the option when I login...but it doesn't actually start
the "beryl-manager".
I added the first file in the .kde/Autostart by navigating to it in the
GUI not the terminal I created this file by right mouse clicking and
choosing "create new text file....does it matter?
Here is the contents of that file.

if [ $DESKTOP_SESSION == "beryl-kde" ]; then

The saved name of this file within the Autostart folder is ""

The other file is located in usr/share/xsessions and is named
"beryl-kde.desktop".  This file contains:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=This session starts KDE using beryl as window manager

Is this correct, or should the "Exec=/usr/bin/startkde" be something

Thanks again John