Starting "beryl-manager" at login

Chris kubuntu at eportel.com
Tue Jun 26 21:50:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 23:32 -0700, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> Chris <kubuntu at eportel.com> writes:
>
> > How should I get the command "bery-manager" to run automaticly when I
> > login to Kunbuntu...and how can I shut it down automaticly when I log
> > out, before the machine shuts down?
>
> I have these files:
> Put this file in ~/.kde/Autostart (I called it beryl.sh)
> #############
> #!/bin/bash
>
> if [ $DESKTOP_SESSION == "beryl-kde" ]; then
>         /usr/bin/beryl-manager
> fi
> #############
> Make it executable
>
> Put this file as beryl-kde.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions
> #############
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=Beryl-KDE
> Comment=This session starts KDE using beryl as window manager
> Exec=/usr/bin/startkde
> Icon=
> Type=Application
> #############
>
> You now have an entry for Beryl-KDE in KDM sessions.  Choose Beryl-KDE
> to start up beryl-manager.  Choose KDE to start up "normal" KDE
>
> --
> John L. Fjellstad
> web: http://www.fjellstad.org/          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

John,
I'm not sure how if I'm doing this right.
I'v opened up [.kde/Autostart] there was a file in there already named
[.directory]. I wasn't sure what to do so I create a new text document
then typed in what you told me to which is :

#!/bin/bash

if [ $DESKTOP_SESSION == "beryl-kde" ]; then
        /usr/bin/beryl-manager
fi
I named this text file "beryl.sh" and I made it have permission as an
executable.

Then I navigated over to /usr/share/xsessions there is one file there
named kde.desktop.  Now do I open this up in a text editor and add it to
the existing document or do I create a new item named beryl-kde.desktop?
If I have to create a new item....how do I do this becuase I don't hve
any options to do this.

Thanks for you help
Chris