Most apps won't start UPDATE

Chris kubuntu at eportel.com
Tue Jun 26 02:35:13 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 20:25 -0400, Andrew M wrote:
> Open KControl (alt-f2, kcontrol), KDE components, file associations.
> Change the image files (e.g. image>jpg) to make Digikam at the top.
> Does that work?
>
> Chris wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 20:19 -0400, Andrew M wrote:
> >
> >> Try running digikam in a terminal.

> >> --
> >> Andrew Min
> >> Home Home <http://cjsams.visual-byte.com/dock.htm>
> >> Blog Blog <http://andrewsblog.timstown.net/>
> >> Mag Magazine Column <http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blog/37372>
> >> NV Newsvine.com Column <http://onlineapps.newsvine.com/>
> >>

> > Thanks Andrew,
> > That works, but I'm trying to make DigiKam my default photo application,
> > so when it's clicked on it simply loads DigiKam to view the photos.
> > I had this issue on another machine...but never tried to get to the
> > bottom of it.
> > Chris
> >

> --
> Andrew Min
> Home Home <http://cjsams.visual-byte.com/dock.htm>
> Blog Blog <http://andrewsblog.timstown.net/>
> Mag Magazine Column <http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blog/37372>
> NV Newsvine.com Column <http://onlineapps.newsvine.com/>

Well....yes and no..
First off...it does run if I run it from the terminal.  It also runs if
I run the application from the K Menu....the only time that it doesn't
run is when I want to open a picture using it.  If I click on the
picture it won't start and if I right click/Open with.. it also will not
run.

This is weird...if I go to one of the jpg images and right click then
choose PROPERTIES and choose the little icon of the wrench and then add
DigiKam as the top choices for opening up this file type, then close
that window and click on the picture it attempts to open DigiKam (so I
now I know that it saw the change that I made for the files default
application) but it never actually loads...it does the same thing that's
it's been doing...
If I go to Kcontrol and look at the File Associations the change that I
just made (adding DigiKam as the top, default application for .jpg
files) in the steps above don't reflect in the FILE ASSOCIATIONS
window...why? After making the changes by right clicking the .jpg file
and changing the default application that it runs....shouldn't it have
reflected in the FILE ASSOCIATIONS window also??

Chris