what is root actually means?

Greg Booth bootgr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:13:28 UTC 2007

> I'd like to ask - is it possible to rename the user root? E.g. in Windows I used to rename it for
> security purposes. If somebody would like to log in, then he/she already knows, that username is
> Administrator and there's only password need to be guessed. But if I change also built-in
> administrator name. then there should be two parameters to be guessed - username and password. Most
> of bad guys don't know, that there's also username different. This kind of security would be useful
> also in linux. Is it possible? Does it broke something in the system?
>
> Thanks,
> Edmund

Kubuntu disables the root user by default. That's why we use sudo to
execute programs that need administrative access, and sudo -i to
actually switch to the root user. There literally is NO password for
root, so while the user exists, the account can NOT be hacked.

You of course sitll have to worry about your own account being hacked,
but then we go back to the windows scenario of them having to guess
both an administrative ID ( the first user you create is in the
sudoers group, none of the rest are IIRC ) and the password for said
admin account.

Hope this helps.

Greg Booth