Default web browser

kk karlok at fastmail.fm
Sun Jun 24 23:53:26 UTC 2007

Sundar Dhanasekaran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had changed my default web browser from konqueror to firefox.  Still
> when I click a link it keeps opening in konqueror. My default applcation
> on System setting --> Default Application --> Web Browser shows for http
> & https url use 'firefox'

I copied the following from somewhere, I don't remember where:

Set the default X server web browser (not just the default KDE browser)
with this command:

sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

This will give you a numbered list of installed browsers in your system.
Choose the number of the browser you want to use as the default.

To get Firefox to pass mailto: links to Thunderbird, you can do the
following:

enter about:config to the addressbar
set (or create) these key-value pairs:
network.protocol-handler.external.mailto (bool) = true
network.protocol-handler.app.mailto (string) = mozilla-thunderbird

> Also only few options like email client, web browser, IM, Terminal
> Emulator are available for change in System setting --> Default
> applications.  How do I change for the rest like associations with mp3,
> pdf etc.

Start up konqueror, go to Settings --> Configure Konqueror, Click on
File Associations.  This will give you a dialog where you can associate
applications with file name patterns.

- Karl