Low screen resolution with Acer TravelMate 233LC

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sun Jun 24 19:49:06 UTC 2007

On Sunday 24 June 2007, Earl Violet wrote:

> Have you tired any live CDs on ths machine?  Check the xorg-conf file
> and see how/if it differs from yours.  This often gives good hints.

That's a good idea.

Since this has gone so long without anybody really offering an answer, I'll
throw in this nugget.  I had one of those chipsets, an 845g IIRC, and I ran
into a problem like this when I upgraded my monitor to an LCD.  I don't know
if my experience applies to the original poster or not, but it's something.

I had to futz around in this section:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        Option          "DPMS"
        HorizSync       28-64
        VertRefresh     43-60
EndSection

I had to play with the HorizSync and VertRefresh settings.  I think I
commented one or the other of them out.

Hey, I just remembered that box is still here.  I had a look at its xorg.conf
file, and found:

Section "Monitor"
  identifier "CM2019"
  modelname "Custom 1"
  modeline  "1280x1024 at 75" 135.0 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066
+hsync +vsync
  modeline  "1280x1024 at 60" 108.0 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066
+hsync +vsync
  gamma 1.0
EndSection

This one is 1280x1024.  I checked the specs on your computer, and yours should
be 1024x768, and thus the above snippet won't work for you.  However, I'm
sure I didn't generate all that 108.0 1280 1328 1440 crap by hand.  No way.
So it must have been something I copied from a live CD, or something
generated by Dapper automatically.

You might download Dapper and try that if Feisty is giving you such fits.  You
can always pilfer the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file from the running live CD
session, and copy it over to your mounted hard drive.

I think all that Intel915 crap you were looking at is a red herring.  You
don't have a 915.  You have an 845G just like I have in this other box, and I
don't need that.  It looks like the 915 thing was some hack to get a
widescreen LCD to work at an odd resolution, and that's not your problem at
all.  1024x768 is plain as paint.  You just need to feed it some tweaked
numbers or something.  Hopefully generated by a smarter auto X configurator
than you found in Feisty.  If all else fails, try KNOPPIX, and try ripping
off the xorg.conf from that.
--
D. Michael McIntyre