Low screen resolution with Acer TravelMate 233LC

Stefan Lang langstefan at gmx.at
Fri Jun 22 21:31:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've installed Kubuntu Feisty Fawn on the above mentioned Acer
Notebook. The graphics chip is an Intel 845. The problem: Per default,
the screen resolution is a mere 640x480.

I found some instructions on the Web, that pointed to the
915resolution package and also a helper script on:

http://roland-lopez.blogspot.com/2007/03/auto915resolution-ubuntu-resolution-fix.html

It says to replace the "default mode", only I don't know what
the default is (i.e. is it the currently running configuration
or what the default _should_ be for this model). Anyway, I tried
to replace the first mode in the list with a resolution of 1024x768
and a color depth of 32 (this settings are used successfully with
Windows on the same notebook). The above mentioned script creates
an init script that calls 915resolution on system startup.

So after a reboot, the X server doesn't start anymore, all I
get is a black screen. Reboot in recovery mode, remove the
init scripts and I'm back to square one :-(

Any ideas? Should I ask on an Ubuntu list?

Thank you,
  Stefan