Kubuntu will not read one computer on a Windows Network.

Joseph Wagner wagner at miller-engineering.com
Fri Jun 22 18:21:20 UTC 2007

Make sure the "File and Printer Sharing" exception is checked in the
firewall config of the XP machine you can't access.

What happens when you enter the ip address of the machine in Konqueror?
Ex. smb://1.2.3.4

Ian Whitfield wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Strange problem - after a battle I have managed to get my new Kubuntu
> computer to link to, and read my Windows Network. I have 5 computers
> all running a mixture of Win 98 and Win XP Pro. File systems are NTFS
> except one that is FAT 32, (the 98 machine). All drives are shared
> with full permissions. All 5 computers work fine on the Network.
>
> The new Kubuntu machine on the Network is reading all the computers
> EXCEPT one!! I can find no obvious difference on this machine compared
> with the others. (Murphy's Law - this is the one I really need!!). Can
> anyone advise where I should look to clear this up please? It is one
> of the XP/NTFS machines recently rebuilt.
>
> BTW non of the Windows machines see the Linux box (one reports a
> "Unknown Network Device"!!) but this does not matter to me.
>
> Thanks in advance
> --
> * Ian Whitfield*/* */*
> ZS6CDX*
> Pretoria, South Africa
>
> *Tel* - +27 (0)12 809 0238
> *Cell* - +27 (0)82 573 9142
> *FAX* - +27 (0)86 651 4844
>
> *Skype* - ianzs6cdx/
> (Get Sk <http://www.skype.com/go/download>//ype
> <http://www.skype.com/go/download> and call me for free)/
>
> *EDITOR OF - _"The Federal Saints" Newsletter_*
> eMail :/ /_/editor at federalsaints.net <mailto:editor at federalsaints.net>/_
> or : /_federalsaints at gmail.com <Mailto:federalSaints at gmail.com>
> _/WebSite : /www.federalsaints.net <http://www.federalsaints.net>/
>
> *SnailMail* - Box 72226, Lynnwood Ridge 0040, South Africa
> *PacketMail* - ZS6CDX@ (not currently available)
>
> _*Cher's details*_
> *Cell* - +27 (0)82 923 2299
> *eMail* - /_cherian at telkomsa.net_/ <mailto:cherian at telkomsa.net>
>
> /(No trees were harmed in the production of this message,
> however a large number of re-cycled electrons were temporarily
> inconvenienced)/

This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain Miller Engineering ITG Inc.
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject
to copyright belonging to Miller Engineering ITG Inc.  This e-mail is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,
copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and the attachments to this
E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy
of this e-mail and any printout.  Thank You.