When will 64bit be on equal par to 32bit

manchicken manchicken at notsosoft.net
Thu Jun 21 23:59:09 BST 2007

On Thursday 21 June 2007 17:51:02 D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> On Thursday 21 June 2007, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> > Has there been any discussions as to when 64 bit Linux will be
> > predominant.  Is this a slow adoption thing or is there a actual date in
> > mind?  I guess it has to happen before 2038 doesn't it?
>
> The reason I don't bother with 64-bit is because of proprietary,
> closed-source add-on stuff that is reputedly a pain in the ass to get
> working on 64-bit. I've never even tried.  I really don't *need* 64-bit for
> anything, there's nothing tangible to gain, so why even take a chance on
> adding some new layer of irritation, just to say I'm using all my bits?
> Bah.
> --
> D. Michael McIntyre

I believe that Mr. Philipson was referring to the signed 32-bit integer issue.
A move to something other than the 32-bit architecture as it stands today is
inevitable.  For more information on the 2038 issue, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

As far as how har amd64 is, I run it here and it works just fine.  For crappy
things that require 32-bit stuff--I only have browser plugins to worry about
there--I keep a separate 32-bit build of Firefox and it works quite nicely.

I know many folks who run amd64 without much trouble at all.  It's a great
architecture, and Ubuntu fully supports it.

--
~ manchicken <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.