Milestone Achieved

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jun 21 12:21:26 UTC 2007

Larry Hartman wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 June 2007 08:09:20 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Larry Hartman wrote:
>> >
>> > I'll take a 75% answer.....I went back and checked Synaptic....got all
>> > packages loaded already that you mentioned...your answer confirms my
>> > basic setup.  I will look into configuration file.
>>
>> Damn,  Actually I _do_ have a copy of a mod-jk setup at work, but never
>> had time to check lists & newsgroups today so forgot about checking it
>> out for
>> you.  I'll try tomorrow...

OK, this is all you need in the Apache config:

  LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so

  JkWorkersFile /etc/libapache2-mod-jk/workers.properties
  JkLogFile /var/log/tomcat5/mod_jk.log
  # JkLogLevel [error, info, debug]
  JkLogLevel info
  JkMount /jsp-examples/* ajp13
  JkMount /admin/* ajp13
  JkMount /manager/* ajp13

That will create the connection for the Tomcat apps that are created by
installing tomcat5, tomcat5-webapps and tomcat5-admin.

The /etc/libapache2-mod-jk/workers.properties contains these uncommented
lines:

  workers.tomcat_home=/usr/share/tomcat5
  workers.java_home=/usr/lib/kaffe
  ps=/
  worker.list=ajp13
  worker.ajp13.port=8009
  worker.ajp13.host=localhost
  worker.ajp13.type=ajp13
  worker.ajp13.lbfactor=1
  worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
  worker.loadbalancer.balanceds=ajp13

If you don't need a loadbalancer, I think these last three values are still
required - if you want real load balancing it's a little more complicated.
The "java_home" value may not even be necessary - it's set to "kaffe" on
the one system I use, but not set at all on another that is running
perfectly. The rest should be standard for any system where the Tomcat
server is running on the same host as the Apache server.
--
derek