what is root actually means?

Fred Schaer fred.schaer at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jun 20 19:30:25 UTC 2007

Hi,

I would say that root is the God of the system. Yes, that's the almighty
guy.
root can do (almost) whatever he (it ?) wants, including destroying your
hard drive, your data, your monitor or whatever.

Its why you have to be carefull when issuing commands as root,
especially when removing files with the famous "rm -rf" and I'm not
giving you the full command here ;)

You should only "log in" as root when you need to do administrative
tasks, and by login I mean use "su -" in a shell window.
You should never connect in X (KDE, Gnome or whatever) as root, and it
seems to me that Kdm just forbids root login for instance.

Please note that logging in as root using "su -" is not the same as
using sudo : with sudo, you keep your environment and can run graphical
applications, whereas when you su - in a shell, you usually (at least I)
can't start X programs because of X access rights.

Finally, root also means "the root of the filesystem", that is to say "/" .

Cheers

Frederic Schaer