installing program in kubuntu

Stew Schneider stew.schneider at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 23:52:08 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Tim M wrote:
>
>> Automatix and Easyubuntu (which I have never heard of) load software and
>> drivers that are not free . . . not licensed maybe. I don't know but I do
>> know that it is extremely hard for a person that doesn't have a lot of
>> experience to get a sound system working,
>>

> That's ridiculous.  Automatix doesn't provide any extra sound drivers,
> and almost all sound cards are supported by the vanilla kernel.
No, it's not ridiculous. Getting sound to work correctly on some systems
is a major headache. It's not just the codecs. Sometimes (as in my two
bad-boy boxes at the non-profit) you simply have no sound, and no clear
way to diagnose it. On those machines that work out of the box, you can
still puzzle yourself fairly easily if you're not technologically
oriented. On those where the hardware isn't detected or isn't configured
correctly, it can be terribly frustrating.

stew