No sound in Dapper

Stew Schneider stew.schneider at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 22:03:14 BST 2007

I just realized that I might have hijacked a thread there, and didn't
mean to do so. Here's a new one:

I have two boxes at a non-profit. Neither will play music.

Box #1 won't play a CD, but we do have sound otherwise
Box #2 is completely mute. kmix from the console complains about not
finding a device or not being able to open it. kmix also cannot find any
valid mixers. alsamixer gives an open error. ls /dev/dsp gives nothing
and neither does /dev/snd

I'm almost certain I solved this one time, but don't recall how. Any hints?

stew