any Compiz configuration utility on Kubuntu? [was:Beryl issues....]

Chris kubuntu at eportel.com
Tue Jun 19 11:37:03 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 10:56 +0300, Donatas G. wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 June 2007 03:38:08 Sundar Dhanasekaran wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I'd recommand that you try Compiz instead of Beryl..it seems to be much
> > > more stable. See the postings for "Desktop Effects"
> > >
> > > Chris
> >
> > I'll give compiz a try.
> >
> > Compiz might be worth trying and fun too :)
> >
> > -Sundar
>
> How do I configure the Beryl effects on Kubuntu? I see Ubuntu Gnome desktop
> has a simple configuration utility, but I cannot see anything like the Beryl
> Manager....
>
> Compiz seems to be more stable than Beryl, though.... I have Kubuntu feisty on
> a laptop with Intel 950 graphics card.
>
> --
> Donatas Glodenis
> http://dg.lapas.info

Hi Donatas,
This works for me every time. Hey could you let me know how you make out
with the 950?  That's one of the few chipsets that I haven't tested yet.
Is it a G series with onboard graphics or are you going to be using the
PCIe interface?

To load the options that Gnome has for the 3d effects all you need to do
> is install a few items.  Go into Adept and search for "compiz", you
will
> see a few options show up. Install, "compiz", "compiz-core",
> "compiz-kde" and "gnome-compiz-manager".  After that's installed you
> will see a new option in the K menu that's reads "Settings" (this is
> actually the menu from Gnome) you will find that you'll be able to
turn
> the effects on...and if your graphic card is supported it will
work...if
> you find that it doesn't work make sure your graphics card is
supported
> with the correct driver. Almost all the machines that I've tested this
> on is using on board Intel graphic from the 845 to the 965 series..the
> 9## series is very very good as far as performance...the 8## series is
> bit slower...but sill functions decent.
>
> Very important. There are some weird anomalies that accrue with
Kubuntu
> (or KDE in general) that you should be aware of that can be fixed very
> simply.
> First after you enable the effects you should see an option that reads
> "Do you want to keep these settings" choose "keep settings" to keep
the
> effects on. Now you may notice that your desktop selection applet in
> your panel is only showing one desktop.  If this is what your seeing,
> right click and choose "configure desktops" bring the slider to that
it
> indicates more than four desktops...like 5 or 6...click on "apply".
You
> may now see a lot more than 5 or 6 desktops in the panel...this seems
> be normal. Now bring the slider to show only one desktop and click
> "apply" this should make it so that the panel desktop selector
> shows...4..if this doesn't show four then go back into the "Gl
Desktop"
> under "settings" from the K menu and select the "cube and rotation"
> option under the "workspaces" tab and select 4 for the number of view
> ports.  The panel desktop selection applet should 4
desktops...although