AMD deciding _now_ what to do about Linux

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jun 17 18:03:59 UTC 2007

On Sunday 17 June 2007, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>On Sunday 17 June 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> The last time I tried to get in touch with them I was told to go away, we
>> don't support linux.  That was several years ago.  I think we are now, too
>> big a market to ignore, and that like using a railcar jack, we will get
>> some motion eventually.
>
>I admire your continued optimism, although I can no longer claim to share
> it.

Well, after a while, one does tend to develop a more jaded outlook, so we have
that in common.

>> I've always been partial to AMD because I have a tendency to support the
>> underdog,
>
>I've always been partial to them for that reason, and because they have
>traditionally offered better performance for less money.  It happened that
> my 286 was an AMD quite by mistake.  I didn't even know who AMD was at that
> point.  Over the years since, I've voted Intel a few times, but I favor AMD
> whenever possible.
>
>These days it does very much come down to which one runs the Linux kernel
> with fewer problems, and I'm really voting on that more than anything else.
>  I don't really like Intel, and I prefer AMD, but most of all, I prefer
> trouble-free operation.

Amen Michael.  And that is what has kept me in the AMD camp as long as I have
been.  But Intel seems to now have accepted the religion in some cubicals,
and its getting better.  Seeing specific patches for the proper handling of
certain features being posted to lkml from 'inside the compound' has helped
me in that regard.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)