xorg not remembering display settings in kde

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Jun 16 15:13:32 UTC 2007

On Saturday 16 June 2007, andrew wrote:
> Is it that kde is looking at a modified file and ubuntu is looking at
> this last one?

No, not likely at all.  If KDE and GNOME are doing different things, you most
likely have a configuration difference at the KDE or GNOME level, and not in
xorg.conf at all.  When KDM or GDM starts, that's your X11 session.  When you
log in from there, it's still the same X11 session that was already running.

I'm 95% sure I'm telling you truth here.  People who have NVIDIA cards with
the proprietary drivers, you only see the little NVIDIA splash screen upon
booting, the first time KDM starts, right?  You do not see the splash screen
again upon logging in do you?  Memory says no, but I don't have a subject
computer to verify this claim at the moment.

In any event, KDE does not exercise any kind of start-up control over X11 (and
I presume GNOME doesn't either.)  Try to run KDE from a terminal with no X11
going (via the startkde script) and it won't fly.  Try to run KDE from inside
the xterm in a default, plain X11 session (from typing xinit from a terminal
when no X session or graphical login manager is running, as when diagnosing X
problems), and it starts up fine.  All the KDE scripts need X to already be
running in order to work (and presumably GNOME is similar; haven't used it in
years.)

So while I don't have rock solid facts and figures to prove the claims I'm
making based on my observations, I think I'm right, and I think you're
barking up the wrong tree.  If KDE is doing something funky, it's probably
specific to KDE, and something in your ~/.kde directory, or the system level
default settings that are used if you don't have any local settings yet.

--
D. Michael McIntyre