To Kubuntu, or not to Kubuntu? That is the question!

WJ Seidl wjsvt at sover.net
Sat Jun 16 14:21:42 UTC 2007

Re: To Kubuntu, or not to Kubuntu? That is the question!
From:
Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:08:34 -0400
To:
Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>

Paul Lemmons wrote:
 > > The two apps that I use a lot and are windows only are "Quicken" and a
 > > Bible study program called "PC Study Bible 5 Professional". I have
 > > looked at the Linux substitutes and they are simply not up to the
task.
 > > For Quicken, I have an older desktop computer running Windows in a
back
 > > office in my house. I RDP to it to run Quicken. That works great
for me.
 > > The Bible study software, though, I want to take with me on my laptop.
 > > For that I installed Crossover Office from Codeweaver. Yes, I could
have
 > > figured out how to do it with Wine (maybe) but the software is well
 > > worth the price for the number of hours of work it saved me.

Did you actually try wine?  It doesn't always require any configuration.

Matt Flaschen

Matt:
A moment here.
Being a relative newbie to Linux and Kubuntu, perhaps I don't have
enough experience yet.
However: I use Quickbooks Pro 2006.  It does NOT work under Wine.
I have tried everything I can, but the incompatibilities are too many.
Insurmountable for this newbie.
It is far easier to just keep a Windows partition on your box and run it
under Windows.
This "solution", while unpalatable, is the only one I have been able to
discover so far that works.

Intuit (makers of Quicken and QuickBooks) informed me recently that they
have NO INTENTION
of coming out with a version for Linux.  (Intuit is owned by Microsoft,
so there you have the reason.)

If anyone needs to use these products, they must do so for now under
Windows.
Best,
Wayne Seidl