Linux databases

manchicken manchicken at notsosoft.net
Fri Jun 15 17:06:26 UTC 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007 10:37:44 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:40:51 -0500
>
> manchicken <manchicken at notsosoft.net> wrote:
> > I find that postgres with OOo Base works quite nicely.  I believe knoda
> > works well with postgres as well.  I prefer PostgreSQL to MySQL for
> > pretty much everything.  It's a more fully featured database with stored
> > procedure support in various language including PL/pgSQL which is similar
> > to PL/SQL. PostgreSQL also supports multiple schemas which can interact
> > with one another.
>
> Back in my Mandrake days I tried out Postgresql. I found it quite
> complicated to get it started, all the messing about with something
> called postmaster. I don't know why databases have to be so complicated
> in Linux. Anyway, I do not have Postgresql set up on my computer, but I
> do have mysql running quite happily, so I will stay with that for the
> moment.
>
> Meanwhile, I am very impressed with knoda. And yes, Postgresql is one
> of the databases in the list of supported ones.
>
> Neil

In Mandrake many things were complicated.  In ubuntu you apt-get install
postgresql-8.2 and you've got a working database when it's done.  It's pretty
simple.  MySQL has a lot of standards issues including one I found today.  It
allows double-quotes in string literals.  This is bad because as people
develop for MySQL, and don't know this, their code is less portable.

MySQL works, and if you like it, go for it.  Just be careful to pay attention
to standards, because MySQL doesn't seem to know or care what those standards
are sometimes.

--
~ manchicken <><
(A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.