Skype telephone giveaway- but not for Linux users

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jun 13 18:53:53 UTC 2007

manchicken wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 June 2007 15:26:01 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> On 12/06/07, manchicken <manchicken at notsosoft.net> wrote:
>> > Then I don't think we should be very thankful for it.  Instead maybe we
>> > should try to use the other free telephony services out there that are
>> > accessible via free software.
>>
>> Why not? You don't expect every company in the world to embrace open
>> source as an ideal, do you? VOIP is a very competitive business, and
>> these companies are not going to do free development for their
>> competition. I'm happy that we are not ignored. Not all Linux users
>> are idealists. Some use it because it's actually the best OS available
>> today, for any price. Yes, I could have gotten a MacBook for the price
>> of this Inspiron, and I have a legal, paid-for version of Vista.
>> Despite that, I use KDE on GNU/Linux because I love it. It's secure,
>> configurable, and resource-efficient. No ideals there.
>
> Please forgive me for valuing freedom.  I was merely brought up to think
> that taking someone's freedom away was wrong.

How does Skype being non-free in any way take away, or even devalue, your
freedom?  I'm all for free software - and I produce it too - but that
doesn't mean that somebody else keeping their software proprietary in any
way affects your freedom.  Get a grip on reality.

> If you're okay with such atrocities that's your thing...

That's getting pretty close to an invocation of Godwin's
Law.  "Atrocities"!??  Wow, those Skype bastards!

Personally, I keep such venom for baby-rapers and the idiots who would
rather see AIDS wipeout Africa than admit that condoms could help.
--
derek