Python version

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 18:54:09 BST 2007

> How can I get Gramps to recognise that I have the required version? And
> how do I get the command 'python' to bring up the 2.5 version? Can
> anyone help please?

Hi Neil,
I think 'python' is a link to python2.4 at the moment. You can verify this at
a console (don't type the $ sign):
$ which python
/usr/bin/python
So, we see where it lives. Now to see what it is:
$ ls -l /usr/bin/python
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2006-08-02 16:49 /usr/bin/python -> python2.4
Aha! It's a link.
So, you can relink it. Find where python2.5 lives with which again, let's
assume it's in /usr/bin/python2.5, so:
$sudo ln -s /usr/bin/python2.5 /usr/bin/python
Will relink 'python' to the right place.

I don't know what effect this will have on the rest of the system, but if
other things go mad, you can always link it back to 2.4 again.

hth
/d