KDE & Network questions

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Jun 13 08:13:02 UTC 2007

Ian Whitfield wrote:
> Hi! - From a returning (but very "newby" Linux user)

welcome back!

> After doing an install and set-up of Vista for a friend it finally
> caused me to look at Linux again after a few years. I had been reading
> the good reports that UBUNTU was getting so decided to give it a try.
> What a difference a few years makes, I'm VERY impressed with what I see!!!
> So I've set up two computers through a KVM switch to run my Windows XP
> and Ubuntu 7.04 and to migrate everything over to the Linux system.
> However I have a few questions.....
>
> 1) What advice can you give me on Gnome Vs KDE? Which is best - or is
> this a stupid question?

KDE is a bit more full fat than gnome, is slightly heavier on
resources too. I prefer kde an dhav eused it on everything for severla
years, however, with time I am coming to appreciate gnome.

> 2) With my limited info it seems as if KDE is the GUI of choice so I
> decided to try it. The Web site tells me to select
> Applications>Add/Remove>Advanced and to select KDE Data Base. BUT I
> cannot find and 'Advanced' option or any mention of 'KDE Data Base'.
> Some help here would be appreciated

If you have ubuntu (gnome environment) installed and want to use or
try kde the easy way - you could install the package
kubuntu-desktop
You will then have the option at login to choose between gnome and
kde. When installing this, you need to choose which desktop manager to
use -  you have gdm (gnome) at the moment, so you could stay with
that, I think kdm gives you a kde looking login screen.

> 3) I use the Windows Contact Manager 'Maximizer' and must have a Linux
> equiv. What can you recommend. I've looked at Kontact and like it but
> there seems to be no way of storing eMails and letters under each
> persons name? (Must have this!!)
> 4) I cannot get the Linux machine to 'read' my Windows Network. It goes
> as far as the MSHOME network name and then reports nothing to display.
> I'm sure I've omitted something - can you advise. (BTW by data is in a
> FAT 32 partition on the Windows machine!!)

I recall I had to ensure the windows machines had to have a login
password - Identity had something to do with it I think, not sure.

hth
--
ac