KDE & Network questions

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Mon Jun 11 18:54:46 UTC 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: KDE & Network questions
From: Ian Whitfield <whitfield at federalsaints.net>
To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Date: 06/11/2007 11:29 AM
> Hi! - From a returning (but very "newby" Linux user)
>
> After doing an install and set-up of Vista for a friend it finally
> caused me to look at Linux again after a few years. I had been reading
> the good reports that UBUNTU was getting so decided to give it a try.
> What a difference a few years makes, I'm VERY impressed with what I see!!!
> So I've set up two computers through a KVM switch to run my Windows XP
> and Ubuntu 7.04 and to migrate everything over to the Linux system.
> However I have a few questions.....
>
> 1) What advice can you give me on Gnome Vs KDE? Which is best - or is
> this a stupid question?

 <flame-proof skivvies>
   KDE is best
</flame-proof skivvies>
> 2) With my limited info it seems as if KDE is the GUI of choice so I
> decided to try it. The Web site tells me to select
> Applications>Add/Remove>Advanced and to select KDE Data Base. BUT I
> cannot find and 'Advanced' option or any mention of 'KDE Data Base'.
> Some help here would be appreciated

See current thread on "Linux Databases"
> 3) I use the Windows Contact Manager 'Maximizer' and must have a Linux
> equiv. What can you recommend. I've looked at Kontact and like it but
> there seems to be no way of storing eMails and letters under each
> persons name? (Must have this!!)

Can't be much help here. I use thunderbird and simply have a folder for
each person of significance.
> 4) I cannot get the Linux machine to 'read' my Windows Network. It goes
> as far as the MSHOME network name and then reports nothing to display.
> I'm sure I've omitted something - can you advise. (BTW by data is in a
> FAT 32 partition on the Windows machine!!)

Need more info...
> 5) Also cannot get access to the laser printer on the Windows machine
> but I'm sure this is related to the above question.

Set the printer up as an SMB printer.  Browse the network as "anonymous"
then when you see your printer, back-up and enter your credentials. I
don't know why it works but it does.