Network printing setup?

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Mon Jun 11 17:29:09 UTC 2007

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday 11 June 2007, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Yes, I already got to the administrator section but then trying to
>> configure the 'printer server' I got a dialogue box with username: root and
>> then asking for a password - to which I tried mine and then changed to
>> various 'user names' without success :-(
>
> This network printer....   has an IP address,  no?
>
> I have an HP4000  sitting here on a network as well as an HP5550 running off a
> print server box.
>
> If you could describe your printer and how it connects maybe we can help.

I fixed it :-)

I used the cupsd.conf from the previous Edgy box that the printer was attached to
and just changed the 'Server Name' entry to reflect my 'hostname'.

I then struggled with it until I added an entry for my box to the other computer's
'/etc/hosts' - now it prints :-)

Now then:
Any ideas how I can edit the new Feisty cupsd.conf to get it to work instead of
using an ancient version from about 4 years ago? It's much more concise and even
quite a bit different from previous versions - which is why I'm probably confused
by it.

Thanks for your offer of help and encouragement!

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries