Linux databases

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Mon Jun 11 16:52:15 UTC 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re:Linux databases
From: Donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com>
To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Cc: Neil Winchurst <neil at holsdev.vispa.com>
Date: 06/11/2007 09:31 AM
>> As I said, I have created many
>> databases in the past and I think that I understand them quite well.
>>

> In that case, try your hand at MySql and use a web interface like PHPMyAdmin
> (there are others) to control it. I also hear that PostgreSQL is really good.
>
> The GUI is *not* the database, so kick that habit and suddenly you have
> choices!
>
> /d

I will ditto the MySql choice. It is not all THAT big and offers
portability, scalability and reliability with a huge pool of support.

As for admin, I have tried the web based PHPMyAdmin and was nonplussed.
It works and a lot of people like it. My opinion is that it works best
if you are an ISP selling MySql and wish to give only "localhost" admin
access to the database.

I have used two other tools with MySQL that I like a lot better:

The first is the one from the MySql folks themselves. It is called
mysql-administrator. It is available for Linux and Windows and works
very well. Earlier versions suffered stability problems but lately it
has been rock solid. It has a companion called mysql-query-browser that
is useful for ad-hoc queries.

The second is knoda. It has a more MS Access flavor and I like it real
well. I have not used it extensively, though so your millage may vary.
It is Linux only but I think, if I read your post correctly, that is
what you are looking for anyway.

HTH