Linux databases

Neil Winchurst neil at holsdev.vispa.com
Mon Jun 11 16:51:34 UTC 2007

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:27:27 +0200
Jordi Ferrando Fabra <jferrando at netplc.com> wrote:

> Hi Neil,
> We use a small footprint database called firebird
> http://firebirdsql.org. We work with windows and Linux clients, or
> "localhost".
> This is SQL based, but much smaller than mysql, postgresql, and of
> course oracle. Our experience with the 1.5.4 version is excellent.

Thanks for that. I have looked at the website. It looks a bit
complicated. Anyway I have downloaded the latest version which is
2.0.1. Since I am using Kubuntu I cannot use the RPM version so I have
chosen the tar.gz file.

I suppose that I just run install.sh in the new directory, is that
right? I will want to use it as a simple stand alone database on my own
computer. I am not interested in linking to anything else. Are there
any problems or traps to watch out for?

With your help I may at last have a database that I can use.

Neil