Upgrading programs

Neil Winchurst neil at holsdev.vispa.com
Mon Jun 11 11:19:48 UTC 2007

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 18:34:02 -0400
"D. Michael McIntyre" <michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:

> So, the first thing you have to ask yourself is why you need Python 5.  Do you
> really need it?  Why?  If you have a real reason for needing it (eg. you're a
> Python developer, and you can't live another minute without the very latest
> version), then your best bet may be to build it from source.
> --
> D. Michael McIntyre

This came up as follows. I use a genealogy program called Gramps which
came with the original install of Kubuntu Edgy. I found out that there
was a newer version of Gramps which did not appear in Adept. I
downloaded the .deb version from the Gramps site and installed it. I got
a message at the end of the install that it worked better with Python
version 2.5 and I had version 2.4. So I started looking around the
Python site, and my question came up.

I find that my new version of Gramps seems to work fine anyway, so I do
not need to really upgrade. However, I asked the question as a general
query about how adept works. There must be other programs on my
computer which are now outdated versions, but the new versions never
seem to appear as a possible upgrade. (No doubt, if I upgraded to
Feisty I would get newer versions of many programs.)

It was a request for information as much as anything. It seems that you
are suggesting that it is better to leave things alone unless there is
a pressing reason to upgrade.

Thanks for all the advice

Neil Winchurst