Lightning strike

Stew Schneider stew.schneider at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 20:42:45 UTC 2007

OK...I just got hit by lightning. (Well... I didn't get hit -- the
powerline did). The outage was way less than a second, so the machine
kept going, but the video was out of sync, rolling diagonally, right to
left, up to down.

I powered down, unplugged, replugged and restarted. No video. I pushed
auto on the LCD, and it failed. I powered down again, inserted a Knoppix
5.5 CD and powered up again. Everything worked fine.

I restarted, removed the Knoppix CD and tried to boot Feisty from the
HD. I got vertical lines on the right side of the screen. I touched auto
on the LCD, and all is normal.

Wha' hoppened? Why was Knoppix able to bring up video when I couldn't
even get the Gateway logo during the post sequence?

stew