Boot questions

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 8 10:05:20 UTC 2007

1.  At boot time, immediately after GRUB starts I receive this error:

MP-BIOS: 8254 timer not connected to......

I googled it and discovered that it has to do with the noapic option in the
boot process.  So I added noapic and was unable to boot except in recovery
mode.  Here is the applicable boot.list portion:

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=quiet splash

title		Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-386
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-386
root=UUID=d9bc08ca-f868-4424-9037-d588f57a4cd4 ro quiet splash
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-386
quiet
savedefault

I checked the System.map-2.6.20-16-386 and config-2.16.20-16-386 files and can
see ioapic lines.

I am running an HP dv8000 laptop with an AMD Turion ML-37 processor.  No BIOS
options to turn on or off for apic.

I understand there is a nolapic option as well as noapic...any difference?

This error has only occurred in Feisty, not in Edgy or Dapper.  No function or
program appears to be broke (that I can tell).....

2.  Also in the middle of the boot process, when my drives are mounted, the
splash screen goes away and never returns....all check boxes afterwards.  How
to fix this...not that it has any great importance, just curious to know...

3.  Last, the final checkbox line in the boot has a "fail" warning.  I believe
it has to do with apache2 webserver.....which does load...I see it in the
memory....but the line goes by so quickly I can not read it all.  What file
on the system contains all of these checkbox lines so that I can review them
and troubleshoot?