clean install of Kubuntu

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Thu Jun 7 15:25:22 BST 2007

On Thursday, 24 May 2007 00:53, anthony baldwin wrote:
> >I'm not talking about backing up, but rather making a separate partition
> >so the folder won't be erased at all during reinstalls.
> >
> >Matt Flaschen
>
> I should do that, too...
> I have to say, I used other distros for about 6 yrs before coming
> recently to Ubuntu,
> and I had never heard of this idea.  Now, that I have, it makes so much
> sense, and I have to wonder
> why I never saw the suggestion on the rh/fedora lists.

Never used Fedora, but before switching to Warty, I used RedHat 5.2 - 7.3.
The install guides always suggested separate partitions for
/home
/usr/local
/boot
/swap
/opt

The problem in those days was that drives were smaller so, unless you
accurately predicted the partition size needs, you could end up out of space
on a partition while having surplus space on another.

Ubuntu's desire (as of warty) to only partition
/
/boot
/swap
seemed great at the time.  It does, however impede clean installs.

So, as to the original question, he may also want to back up
/usr/local
/opt

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net