Sound Editors

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 05:19:52 UTC 2007

On 5/30/07, Robert Menes <viewtiful.icchan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/30/07, Larry Hartman <larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > Anyone know of an app that will take the hiss out of sound files recorded
> from
> > vinyl records?
> Try Audacity; it's a powerful audio editor that's very extensible. It's
> listed in the Package
> Manager for Kubuntu, or just do:

I'll second this.  Though I find the interface somewhat clumsy, I've
had a fair amount of success with audacity.  You can grab a small
sample of "silence" and audacity will analyze it, then you can
subtract out the noise from the silence from the rest of the track.
It works pretty will if the noise isn't too loud.

Michael