HP 1020 printer setup

adams k7qo at commspeed.net
Thu Jun 7 03:10:51 UTC 2007

Since Fry's Electronics had the above printer on sale I
thought I would give one a try.  They were on sale a few
days this week for $89.xx for the 1020 and $69.xx for the
1000.  US dollars.

The first install didn't go well, so I started from scratch.
I hate it when people post incomplete or wrong info on their
web pages or just a note that there is an error in some file
but don't show you the needed changes.

So, here it is from the beginning, in simple to understand
steps:

1.  Clean install of kubuntu 7.04

2.  System updates to get kernel to 2.6.20-16.28

3.  reboot system

4.  sudo vi /etc/papersize
    change a4 to letter

    only if the file exists is this necessary

5.  sudo apt-get install firefox

    need firefox to see how to download drivers
    the first time

6.  firefox foo2zjs.rkkda.com

    gives instructions and here are the resulting steps

    o  wget -O foo2zjs.tar.gz  http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz
       tar -xvf foo2zjs.tar.gz
       cd foo2zjs
       make
       ./getweb 1020
       sudo make install
       sudo make install-hotplug

    (Trivia:  I know the tar doesn't require the - for the flags, but
     let us not try and confuse the new users.)

7.  cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1020.dl > /dev/usblp0

    If printer connected correctly, you should here it start up
    and the two front lights toggle between green and red showing
    that the HP1020 firmware is being updated.

8.  sudo vi /etc/hotplug/usb/hplj1020

    line 32   /dev/usb/lp0  changed to  /dev/usblp0
    line 33   DEV=""        changed to  #DEV=""

9.  kaddprinterwizard

    o  select local printer for parallel, usb, ...
    o  select USB HP LaserJet 1020   the last listing of LaserJet 1020
    o  next panel select HP, then LaserJet 1020 foo2zjs

    and I named the printer hp1020

    Just go to next window with the next button in the above steps.
    Print the test page to make sure you're doing things right.

10. lpadmin -d hp1020

    This step makes hp1020 the default printer, otherwise there is
    no default printer.  This should be a step in the wizard IMHO.

11. lpstat -t

The lpstat -t  should show that the scheduler is running and that hp1020
is the default printer.  If not, then my instructions weren't clear to
you.  Little known fact.  You MUST use the -t flag for the lpstat
command otherwise you never get anything from it.

Hope this helps at least one person to save a lot of time and money.

The difficulty with the kaddprinterwizard is when you get to the
selection of the port.  When I was doing a Samsung ML-4500 there
were three parallel ports.  One plain, one for a Canon printer,
and the third port for an Epson.  When you'd think you'd want
to select the plain parallel port you get into trouble.  You
must always select the last port for the device.

I live in Prescott AZ, the home of Think4inc.com, so I get the
remanufactured laser toner cartridges for $44 and some change,
which comes out to about $0.023 per page for the toner.  My plan
is to wear this printer out ASAP just to see how much work the little
puppies can take.

FYI,

One more thing.  I had a Brother printer and then tried the
HP1020.  This also caused problems.  Did not find the magic
formula for deleting a printer after you have installed one.
But I was willing to reinstall the system as this was/is
an experiment system.  AMD dual core x64 with 2GB of RAM, etc.

Chuck Adams, K7QO   k7qo at commspeed.net
http://www.k7qo.net/   personal web page

Moving to Arizona?  Bring your own water.