ATI driver: which is the right procedure?

Larry Hartman larryhartman50 at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 7 00:51:26 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 06:37:30 pm Mario Gianni (mgianni) wrote:
> Larry
>
> First of all really thanks for the help here. Really appreciated. Your
> answers are really well done. :-)
>
> Just 4 last things:
>
> 1) Do I need to make these changes after the steps described at
> http://wiki.cchtml.com or before them? Because on the procedure page it
> says to add the Composite and AIGLX sections before to run the commands.

If you are referring to the instructions immediately below, you can add these
sections before or after you do the other steps, the important thing is that
you do this before you restart X-server or restart the computer....the WIKI
wants you to do it first to avoid the troubles not having them set right
causes.

Now add the following three sections:

Section "DRI"
   Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
   option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
   option "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

Remove any sections that read:

Section "Extensions"
  option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

> 2) Do these changes replace both aticonfig commands ("sudo
aticonfig --initial" and "sudo aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv") or only
the --initial one? On the guide it says:
> >>An alternative to the aticonfig --initial command is to edit
> >> /etc/X11/xorg.conf..... Afterwards you can use aticonfig for setting
> >> overlay etc.

All of the changes I referenced below were instead of both of these commands.

> 3) When you say that everytime you update the kernel you must reinstall the
> driver it means to run all the procedure or just the "Compile the kernel
> module" section? I mean running these commands:
>
> sudo module-assistant prepare
> sudo module-assistant update
> sudo module-assistant build fglrx
> sudo module-assistant install fglrx
> sudo depmod -a
>
> Because it reports: IMPORTANT: You have to recompile the kernel module
> after each kernel update!

When I build the *.debs from the initial downloaded file I delete the original
file and save the debs.  Whenever a new kernel is released I rerun the whole
procedure beginning at the sudo dpkg lines until the end skipping
the "Configure the Driver" section.  Your previous /etc/X11/xorg.conf will
continue to work.

> 4) Finally, last but not least, when I want to update the drivers with the
> new one I believe I need to run the full procedure (since I need to unpack
> the latest driver). But the question is: do I need to remove the old one or
> just install on top? Without change again the xorg.conf file? And clearly
> without run the aticonfig commands?

Yes, I open up the package manager and search on "fglrx" and remove
all-typically four packages, sometimes five if you installed the "dev"
package.

Afterwards, I generally run the full procedure of Method 2, minus sections
which were already accomplished on previous install, such as:

Install necessary tools
Blacklist old fglrx module...
Configure the Driver

Of course if the WIKI we are referring to did not get updated after a new
version release, you must replace the old version numbers in the applicable
commands with the new ones.

=======

One last thing, there is an instruction "Create a symbolic link"....when I
finished the steps I went to the directories mentioned in this step and noted
that this was already accomplished.  I have not seen this command before on
this WIKI, but apparently someone had trouble and added this step to fix it.

"uname -r" when ran in the terminal returns your kernel version number.

> Sorry for these other questions. I think I have addressed all my doubts.
> :-)

Don't need to apologize for asking for help on this list, that is what we are
here to do--help each other.

Again reiterate two points...seems a little intimidating on first go, you will
do this blindfolded after a couple goes.  Also, don't forget to print a
hardcopy of these instructions, especially the "exit strategy" in case
x-server doesn't start--this will bring you back to the open source driver
vice ATI proprietary driver.

Just go for it, with the "exit strategy" in hand nothing you are doing here
should cause any permanent calamities on your system.

Larry