zeroconf and kubuntu

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Jun 6 07:53:04 UTC 2007

Donatas G. wrote:
> How is zeroconf networking supposed to work on Kubuntu? Do I have to specify
> something in the settings for my computer to automatically obtain IP address
> when connected to another computer?

You can't obtain an IP address that way, unless one computer is a server
/router with a DHCP service enabled.  Zeroconf is for computers with
pre-assigned IPs (typically on a LAN with DHCP) to share services (like
file, print, etc.).  It doesn't assign IPs itself as far as I know.

> I tried to simply connect two computers with a cable

You can do this, but it's best to manually set IPs then.  Also, I
believe you need a cross-over cable.

Matt Flaschen