ATI driver: which is the right procedure?

Mario Gianni (mgianni) mgianni at cisco.com
Tue Jun 5 13:40:37 UTC 2007

Hi

I have installed Kubuntu on my Thinkpad T60. I was trying to install the
ATI drivers but I have found so many procedure on the web that I am a
bit confused.

So far I understood that I can install it from the repository (as
restricted driver) or download from ati.com and do the installation
manually. All these links show the setup procedure. They are pretty
similar but not completely the same:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Feisty_Installation_Guide
http://divilinux.wordpress.com/tag/hardware/ati/
http://divilinux.wordpress.com/2007/03/29/installazione-driver-fglrx-kub
untu-feisty-fawn-704/

On the ATI web site there is this one which looks pretty easy. Just need
to run the package:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_
8.37.6-inst.html

Can you please help me? Which one is the right procedure? Do you have a
link for the right one?

I'll use KDE with Kubuntu. Not sure whether there are two procedure for
GNOME or KDE.

Thanks
Mario