virtual OS solutions?

Jonathan Zeppettini jonzep at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 05:15:52 UTC 2007

For the type of work you're describing I'll second the recommendation
of VirtualBox. There's a deb package available for (K)Ubuntu [1] and
the setup procedure is fairly well documented [2]. The GUI is very
intuitive so anybody who has used VMware would not have a problem
using it.

>I've tried vmware and it's ok but my machine runs hot as hell when I'm running
a guest OS.

I don't know that VirtualBox would be any less taxing on your machine but YMMV.

Good luck.

[1] http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
[2] http://www.virtualbox.org/download/UserManual.pdf

On 6/1/07, Kevin Kempter <kevin at kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I've installed Kubuntu 7.04 and I have needs to also have access to a Redhat
> based distro for working with RPM's & building custom RPM's for my clients.
>
> I wonder which of the virtualization options bmight be the best in terms of :
> a) ease of install
> b) ability to copy/backup the VM
> c) ease of administration
>
> I've tried vmware and it's ok but my machine runs hot as hell when I'm running
> a guest OS.
>
> Anyone have experience with Xen, Virtual Box, other options?
> Any advice, tips, etc? Any how-to's that would help me to install a Fedora or
> CentOS guest on a kubuntu host ?
>
> Thanks in advance...

JZ